Monday 12 May 2014

The Long Road to my Final Hand-In: PART 1


My character is done so now Ill go over briefly each part of the process, like somewhat of a tutorial. I followed the instructions on the tutorial I downloaded on setting up my planes but I have a grid to stick to so I placed the front picture behind the grid (front view) and the side picture (side view) inside the grid in the middle. Neither will be seen on either view.
I started with the first attempt of the head, I created a side profile with the line tool and created a lathe for the head. With an editable poly tool were I select a square it goes all red, I choose the squares where the eyes will be and dragged out a clone using shift to create my visor. To make the visor thicker I used extrude and sized it to fit on the face.
With that done I followed my drawing and extruded a box shaped around the upper lip and nose of my character, this will be used to hold the horn and buck teeth. After extruding, I got the shape my upper lip done and with the dot editable poly tool I grabbed the rows on either side and dragged the dots down slightly to get a curve. After that I selected half the nose and deleted it, so I can then place symmetry on it to get an even shape nostril. For the nostril I selected the middle squares on my shape and used inset to about 1cm and finally extruded -10cm back to create the breathing hole of the nostril. Doing this will produce a clean result when turbo smoothed and not stretch it badly. Pretty much the same was done for the bottom lip/jaw except for the nostril part. Teeth were boxes with curved bottoms using extrude, all I had to do was clone 3 more teeth, then make 2 teeth bigger than the original size and finally put them in line with the plane.
Ears where simple, following the plane by taking the box I had created and extrude till I get a pointy edge. I then added 5 connected lines down creating more points, I could then follow Justin’s spoon tutorial to create a giant gap curve in the middle. I selected the middle 2 rows of dots, opened soft selection and clicked ‘use soft selection’ to drag a gap in the middle but get a clean result out of it, there will be no noticeable lines. I thought my head was done but I then learned lathes don’t accept skins, so I had to go back to my sketchbook and redesign my head for a box tool and extrude it. Following the plane was actually easy, I kept extruding and shaping but for the curve in the middle, the top and the bottom I had to bevel it till it reached the top.
With the 3x3x3 I stretched and curved the head keeping within the grid and leaving room for my face details. Same method again for the visor accept it was a lot easier due to having fewer lines. The horn was made out of a cone but it looked unnatural, so I slimed the width (side view) and selected each row of dots to curve it around the head and touch the top of the grid. I need a break from writing, my head hurts.



No comments:

Post a Comment